Tama Zone Home
Tama Zone News
Welcome to Tama Zone, the forum for serious Tamagotchi fans! If you're new, please familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules, and be sure to check out all our Resources!

Create a free forum in seconds.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Tama Zone. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

PLEASE SUPPORT TAMA-ZONE BY VOTING
Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post ) ReplyNew Topic

Stuck Tamagotchi Screws Guide., Need help? Have a look here.
-Ra-
Posted: Aug 29 2009, 07:03 PM

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 503

How to remove stuck screws:

Here are 5 easy steps on how one could possibly remove stuck screws! Before you begin, the most important thing to remember is to make sure you've got the 'right' size screwdriver. If you don't, you will only strip the head of the screw and turn an already existing problem into an even larger one.

Step 1) Make sure you've got the right size screwdriver. For vintage Tamagotchis, a #0 JIS screwdriver is recommended. (Note: JIS is not the same as Phillips. More about that, here: http://tama-zone.com/index.php?showtopic=2...post&p=22056125 )

Step 2) Do not turn the screws 'lightly'. This will increase the risk of the head of the screw breaking off, and leaving the body stuck inside the shell. Instead, press down firmly and slowly turn while applying pressure. Also remember, lefty loosy, righty tighty.

Step 3) If you find that the screws still will not budge, try turning them right, as if to tighten them. This will cause the screw to move inside the socket, and break free of the corrosion which has welded it stuck in place. Once you feel it move, then turn it counterclockwise, and it should come off.

Step 4) If you still find your screws firmly rooted to the socket, try applying some lubricant oil. WD40 is one which works great, and one which I've personally used before. Get a Q tip and dab a tiny droplet on to each screw head. Let it sit for a little while, and try again.

Step 5) If you find the screw comes off only about half way, this is where pliers will come in handy. Grab the head with pliers and ever-so-gently turn with the aid of this tool.

If you still find, after applying these 5 steps that the screws will not come off, your last resort would be to drill them out. Ask your parents if they have any jewelry drill bits. These are really thin drill bits which will be just small enough to drill out the stuck screws. However please don't attempt this yourself, and ask the aid of an adult. Use tips with caution and at your own risk. Tama Zone is not responsible for any damaged bits.

Ra,

This post has been edited by binary on Sep 23 2012, 08:57 PM
PMWWW
Chii_V2
Posted: Sep 6 2009, 02:25 PM

Teen
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,044

Great guide Ra.

I have some tips to add. If you ever find yourself with stripped screws, you can replace them with screws from "fake" tamas, broken/irreparable tamas or from tech deck finger skateboards. I've tested the tech deck screws personally and they work surprisingly well.
PME-mail
-Ra-
Posted: Sep 6 2009, 03:05 PM

Administrator
Group Icon

That's a good idea. tsub-smile.gif I have also personally used screws from glasses repair kits. They're quite inexpensive at places like WalMart or Kroger, and fit perfectly.

Ra,
PMWWW
mirukucha
Posted: Dec 7 2009, 02:31 PM

Tama Zone Superstars
Group Icon

Member No.: 23,556

I never thought to use WD 40, but I have had to use pliars

QUOTE (Chii_V2 @ Sep 6 2009, 02:25 PM)
Great guide Ra.

I have some tips to add. If you ever find yourself with stripped screws, you can replace them with screws from "fake" tamas, broken/irreparable tamas or from tech deck finger skateboards. I've tested the tech deck screws personally and they work surprisingly well.

Oh! The ones from the circuit board of dinkie dinos work work wonderfully! I had a few broken ones and got around 12 screws from them winces there's 4 in each tsub-smile.gif
PMWWW
evie_00
Posted: Dec 16 2009, 06:58 AM

Tama Zone Legends
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23,502

Hmm... I have one stripped screw in my original P2 Tamagotchi. I still manage to take out the other screw, lift the back, and pivot around the stripped one to replace the battery. It's amazing--I thought for certain I would break the backing, but that stuff is strong! haha.gif

I'm going to bookmark this page for when my Morino and Devilgotch get here; first thing, I'm going to make sure their screws will work. I hope I don't wind up with major problems. They're brand new, never-out-of-package, so I don't know if they'll be corroded, and if they are, just how badly corroded they will be...

Well... here's hoping I DON'T need this guide! O.gif

EDIT: Oh, and thanks a bundle for posting this, Ra! I'm sure--no matter what I hope--it's going to come in handy sooner or later!

This post has been edited by evie_00 on Dec 16 2009, 06:59 AM
PME-mail
zerex0001
Posted: Dec 17 2009, 10:10 AM

Child
Group Icon

Member No.: 23,576

I had to replace screws for my P2 Green Tamagotchi, luckily I found 2 that where the perfect size from within a broken virtual pet. Like Mirukucha says, the screws for other virtual pets will work beautifully as replacements or spares.

This post has been edited by zerex0001 on Dec 17 2009, 11:04 AM
PME-mail
Arikags
Posted: Jan 1 2010, 10:19 AM

Child
Group Icon

Member No.: 23,606

Read this about two hour after I had a screw problem... Lucky I had those pliers, though.
Nice work, Ra! Hopefully I won't encounter the problem again.
But knowing me... rollover.gif
PME-mail
kittenCorn
Posted: Sep 23 2012, 04:08 PM

Babytchi
Group Icon

Member No.: 26,121

I realize that it's not encouraged to reply to old topics but since this is pinned and this is so unbelievably relevant I'm surprised I could not find any info on it until binary mentioned it on Tamatalk and I figured there are others that would benefit from knowing this. (I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned here already actually...)

Tamagotchi screws are cross-recess screws... Especially the vintage Tamagotchi's. (I'm not sure about the newer Tama's because I don't have any asides from 2 Connections). With the Connection's screws being so big it's not really an issue but anything that came out circa 1996 have those ridiculously small screws. As a result they need JIS screwdrivers. Phillips head screwdrivers will work 95% of the time if you can find one small enough, but if the screws are especially tight having the correct screwdriver can ensure that you don't strip your screws.

If you do a quick Google search, the Wikipedia page will show you the difference between Phillips and cross-recess screws.

This post has been edited by kittenCorn on Sep 24 2012, 02:58 PM
PME-mail
binary
Posted: Sep 23 2012, 08:48 PM

Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,317

Sorry for not updating this topic earlier. During a visit to Japan a few years ago, I required a screwdriver. There was a do-it-yourself shop close by, and their prices seemed good, so I purchased range of sizes (#1, #0, and #00). I was impressed with how well they fit the screws on the Tamagotchi. Earlier this year, I found a Japanese site selling replacement screws for Tamagotchi. The seller doesn't ship internationally, and use of a middleman would push the price rather high. Thinking that perhaps these screws were maybe not impossible to find outside of Japan, if you happen to know the correct size, I started investigating. It was then that I discovered why my Japanese screwdrivers fit so well.

Below is a copy of the posting I made on TamaTalk.

Just a note about the screws on the back of your Tamagotchis: they're not Phillips; they're JIS, which is not quite the same as Phillips. Using a Phillips screwdriver on a JIS screw can, as you've seen, strip the head. (Yes, I know the screw shafts were stuck solid in your case, but when they're not that stuck, you can generally get them out without damage by using the correct screwdriver.) You may be able to find JIS screwdrivers at a hobby shop (the type of shop that sells remote-control model airplane parts), otherwise they can be ordered through an online shop (just google "JIS screwdrivers".)
PM
-Ra-
Posted: Sep 24 2012, 04:34 AM

Administrator
Group Icon

Thank you for this new bit of information! tsub-smile.gif

Ra,
PMWWW
beagee
Posted: Sep 27 2012, 02:30 AM

Tama Zone Greats
Group Icon

Member No.: 24,735

Great information, Binary! Very helpful!

If I might add something; if you're ever worried that you may be damaging a screw STOP fiddling with it. Instead, take it to a watch repair store. (Sears has one in every location and they're cheap) They've helped me with a ton of stripped screw issues, soft screw, just about anything. And they can replace the screws with better quality ones as well. I took my new Devilgotchi to them a few days ago to have them properly remove the soft screw and replace both screws and it only cost me 3.99$. So remember, if you're not sure of what you're doing do NOT mess around. There's a point at which you can damage the screw beyond anyone's ability to safely remove it and it will have to be drilled out. Avoid that by taking it to a professional tsub-smile.gif

EDIT: Oh! And the service takes about 5 minutes.

This post has been edited by beagee on Sep 27 2012, 02:31 AM
PME-mailWWW
mishi10345
Posted: Sep 28 2012, 11:26 AM

Teen
Group Icon

Member No.: 26,018

beagee, I'm just wondering, but how much do you think it would cost to get a stripped screw removed and replaced? I've got some pictures here:

http://i.imgur.com/XLElP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PQEsf.jpg
PME-mail
beagee
Posted: Sep 28 2012, 04:01 PM

Tama Zone Greats
Group Icon

Member No.: 24,735

QUOTE (mishi10345 @ Sep 28 2012, 11:26 AM)
beagee, I'm just wondering, but how much do you think it would cost to get a stripped screw removed and replaced? I've got some pictures here:

http://i.imgur.com/XLElP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PQEsf.jpg

Hmm. Those are quite damaged. The cost wouldn't be much different but the real problem is whether they'd be able to without drilling into it.
PME-mailWWW
kittenCorn
Posted: Sep 29 2012, 07:50 AM

Babytchi
Group Icon

Member No.: 26,121

When I took my devilgotchi to get the screws looked at both broke when the jewelers tried to remove them. So they had to drill them out but they only charged me for the replacement screws so about $5 is what it cost me.
PME-mail
mishi10345
Posted: Sep 29 2012, 11:31 AM

Teen
Group Icon

Member No.: 26,018

I brought it to Sears, where the guy tried with a few screwdrivers and then gave up. Then I went to People's Jewellers, who recommended I take it to Radio Shack where they apparently have the magnetic-tipped screwdrivers; there wasn't one in the mall, so I brought it to yet another jewellery store. No luck there. Finally, I went to a small watch and jewellery repair place in the mall. The guy tried, but to no avail. I want to see if I can get the one screw drilled out and replaced, but I have no idea who to go to for that, as no one mentioned drilling it out as a possibility...
PME-mail
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ReplyNew Topic

Recommended browser: Firefox

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1705 seconds | Archive